- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
Olympics cast shadow over CBS 2Q profit beat
Net income in the three months to June 30 rose to $427 million, or 65 cents per share. That handily beat the 59 cents per share expected by analysts polled by FactSet.
Revenue slipped 3 percent to $3.48 billion, below the $3.53 billion expected.
Advertising revenue fell 3 percent to $2.14 billion while rerun sales fell 8 percent to $816 million. Fees from TV distributors who pay to carry the CBS network and its Showtime channel rose 8 percent to $465 million.
Overall, the company said advertising revenue in the second quarter reflected a “steady marketplace.”
Profits went up despite the revenue fall partly because fees from distributors are more profitable than ad sales. The shift of some college basketball games into the first quarter also reduced programming costs in the second quarter.
CBS’ stock rose 26 cents in after-hours trading to $33.30. In the last year, it has traded in a range of $17.99 to $35.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes 'your paycheck'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.