- WestJet grants Christmas wishes for 250 airline passengers
- U.S. vet held in North Korea says statement was coerced
- NTSB hearing on San Francisco airliner crash postponed
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford insists he has dried out, vows sobriety test
- Greenpeace video warns that climate change is wrecking Santa’s home
- Herman Cain profiled in ‘Political Power’ comic book
- Hagel renews Qatar defense pact despite differences over Iran, Syria
- Fire departments fear Obamacare will gut volunteer ranks
- Rep. Alan Grayson loses $18M in stock scheme
- Christmas secularists get 6-foot beer-can Festivus pole at Florida Statehouse
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama, Biden the ones chaining U.S.
Let's give Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. the benefit of the doubt and assume his comment that Mitt Romney would "put ya'll back in chains" weren't meant to imply that a Romney/Ryan administration would punish Americans ("Biden: Back on the chain gang," Comment & Analysis, Wednesday).
There's still much to discuss about Mr. Biden's use of the word "chains." Does he not think the millions of unemployed unemployed Americans feel anchored to the guest rooms of parents, friends or family members? Isn't it the person who filed for disability insurance, who in a better economy might have found a job instead, who feels chained to government's "beneficence"? In fact, more people filed for Social Security Disability Insurance in the second quarter of this year than found jobs. And is it not the person reliant on government for basics like food who feels chained to the next deposit and the next food-bank line at church?
The Obama administration through its actions is the administration of "no." Contrast the Democrat-pushed dependency ticket with the Republican one, which promotes self-reliance, earned success and the dignity that comes with a life lived well, free from government reliance and interference.
Now tell me, Mr. Vice President, who has delivered (and is still selling) chains, and who is selling independence and opportunity?
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- Oregon fails to sign up single person on health care website as states struggle
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- George Zimmermans girlfriend flips on assault: Let my boyfriend go
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service