- Jerry Sandusky’s wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Ben Carson: America’s now ‘very much like Nazi Germany’
- Heroin found on N.J. toddler at day care
- Pistorius trial: Police conduct faces scrutiny
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- CBO chief: Projected job loss numbers from minimum wage hike are fluid
- Rep. Rangel: ‘No question’ Harlem explosion is result of gas leak, not terrorism
- Dog left in car blasts horn for 15 minutes
- DCCC chair hopes Alex Sink will run again in November
- U.S., allies threaten ‘further action’ against Russia
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Tackle national debt now
Although our national debt basically has existed since the country’s inception, the recent national deficits accumulated over the past 10 years has grown exponentially— but it can be easily explained. We simply spend more than we take in.
During President Truman's administration, the debt as percent of gross domestic product significantly declined. However, over the years, the amount of debt has steadily increased independent of the maximum tax rate, the highest being 94 percent and the lowest being 28 percent. Based on the standard of 1983 dollars, the highest deficits were under President George W. Bush — although, as we know, President Obama has the highest public debt in the country’s history, quickly approaching $16 trillion.
Based on this I have two observations for thought. First, why is the country suddenly in a “crisis climax,” when we have been building this debt all along and we continue spending? Second, many of the senators and congressmen on both sides have been in office for years. Where were they when this debt was burgeoning and spiraling out of control?
Congress needs to learn how to cooperate, quit vilifying its own members and help solve our nation’s problems.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Female TSA officers say pat-down duty leads to workplace discrimination
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Special ops forces wearing thin from high demand
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama should've seen Ukraine coming
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political correctness is enemy of free speech
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop wasting money on United Nations
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Certain issues belong to voters