- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Tackle national debt now
Question of the Day
Although our national debt basically has existed since the country’s inception, the recent national deficits accumulated over the past 10 years has grown exponentially— but it can be easily explained. We simply spend more than we take in.
During President Truman’s administration, the debt as percent of gross domestic product significantly declined. However, over the years, the amount of debt has steadily increased independent of the maximum tax rate, the highest being 94 percent and the lowest being 28 percent. Based on the standard of 1983 dollars, the highest deficits were under President George W. Bush — although, as we know, President Obama has the highest public debt in the country’s history, quickly approaching $16 trillion.
Based on this I have two observations for thought. First, why is the country suddenly in a “crisis climax,” when we have been building this debt all along and we continue spending? Second, many of the senators and congressmen on both sides have been in office for years. Where were they when this debt was burgeoning and spiraling out of control?
Congress needs to learn how to cooperate, quit vilifying its own members and help solve our nation’s problems.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Fingers Malloy
Get Breaking Alerts
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business