- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Tackle national debt now
Although our national debt basically has existed since the country’s inception, the recent national deficits accumulated over the past 10 years has grown exponentially— but it can be easily explained. We simply spend more than we take in.
During President Truman’s administration, the debt as percent of gross domestic product significantly declined. However, over the years, the amount of debt has steadily increased independent of the maximum tax rate, the highest being 94 percent and the lowest being 28 percent. Based on the standard of 1983 dollars, the highest deficits were under President George W. Bush — although, as we know, President Obama has the highest public debt in the country’s history, quickly approaching $16 trillion.
Based on this I have two observations for thought. First, why is the country suddenly in a “crisis climax,” when we have been building this debt all along and we continue spending? Second, many of the senators and congressmen on both sides have been in office for years. Where were they when this debt was burgeoning and spiraling out of control?
Congress needs to learn how to cooperate, quit vilifying its own members and help solve our nation’s problems.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable