- Motolotov cocktail thrown a Brooklyn mini-mart
- 3 Americans dead in shooting at Kabul hospital by Afghan guard
- Running on empty: EPA slashes biofuel goals because of ethanol shortage
- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
MILLER: Obama’s secret middle-class tax hikes
Everyone will be paying more to Washington under presidential plan
President Obama continued to gallivant around the country on Monday, pushing to raise taxes on those deemed wealthy. The surprise will come in less than three weeks when the rest of us see our taxes go up as well.
Grover Norquist, founder of Americans for Tax Reform, describes what the president is doing as political sleight-of-hand. "It's a magician's misdirection," the anti-tax activist told The Washington Times in an interview. "Obama is keeping people from noticing that the same day that the Bush tax cuts disappear, the Obama tax hikes show up. His unstated tax hike deliberately raises taxes on all Americans, not just rich people."
Five major Obamacare taxes take effect on Jan. 1 that will cost taxpayers a whopping $1 trillion over 10 years, according to the Congressional Budget Office. The elderly will find it more difficult to write off medical expenses on their income taxes when the medical deduction minimum goes up from 7.4 to 10 percent of adjusted gross income. Families that take advantage of pre-tax flexible spending accounts to pay for out-of-pocket health care expenses will be newly limited to putting just $2,500 into that account.
There's also a new 3.8 percent Obamacare surtax on investment income for individuals who make over $200,000 a year. Combined with the hike under debate in the fiscal cliff talks, capital gains taxes would jump from 15 percent to 23.8 percent and dividends from 15 percent to 43.4 percent. The Medicare payroll tax will jump to 3.8 percent for wages and profits exceeding $200,000 -- a provision that most affects small-business owners stuck with the bill for the whole payroll tax.
Even disabled war veterans will feel the pain of the Obamacare tax hikes. A sneaky provision imposes a 2.3 percent excise tax on medical device sales, which will drive up the cost of everything from artificial joints and prosthetics to lifesaving machines like defibrillators, pacemakers and stents. According to a poll by the Emergo Group, 58 percent of American manufacturers say they will pass along some or all of the new costs to consumers.
Mr. Obama is facing a backlash from his own party on this. A group of 17 Democratic senators and senators-elect, including three elected leaders, wrote a letter on Dec. 4 to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid asking that the tax be delayed as part of the final negotiations on the fiscal cliff. The letter, obtained by Dow Jones, explains to Mr. Reid that the 400,000 people in the United States who work in the industry could be affected by the confusion and uncertainty on how to comply with the tax hike.
The Obamacare tax hikes will raise the cost of health care for everyone, kill jobs and suck a trillion dollars out of the economy. Since there appears to be a growing bipartisan consensus that letting these taxes take effect would harm the economy, negotiators should do everything in their power to stop them in a final fiscal cliff deal.
Emily Miller is a senior editor for the Opinion pages at The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- CURL: Obama's foreign policy even worse than his domestic policy
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- Jimmy Carter: Dont hurt Russian people with sanctions