- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: East Asia should embrace sea treaty
North Korea plans to test-fire a Taepodong II long-range ballistic missile sometime before the end of Dec. 22. The Japanese Diet elections and Tokyo gubernatorial election will be held Sunday. These will be followed three days later by the South Korean presidential election. Predictions are that Japan and South Korea will witness the emergence of new leadership.
Territorial disputes between Japan and China, and between Japan and South Korea, have intensified. These highlight the treacherous situation facing the Asia-Pacific region. As Japan and South Korea face domestic pressure with elections on the horizon, Taiwan has more flexibility in managing the disputes by leveraging claims of sovereignty and fishing rights.
In order to mitigate the tensions and antagonisms that might erupt into war, Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou has proposed an East China Sea peace initiative, with five points to resolve the territorial sovereignty issue. He urges all parties to refrain from antagonistic actions, to not abandon dialogue, to observe international law, to resolve disputes through peaceful means, and to form a mechanism for exploring and developing resources on a cooperative basis. Given upcoming events, the best way forward for eastern Asia is to embrace the initiative and join in forging a path of coexistence and mutual prosperity.
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Muhammad wouldn't condone Boston bombing
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: High heels: Hazardous to one's health?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Marshall's comments hurt GOP, pro-lifers