- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: East Asia should embrace sea treaty
Question of the Day
North Korea plans to test-fire a Taepodong II long-range ballistic missile sometime before the end of Dec. 22. The Japanese Diet elections and Tokyo gubernatorial election will be held Sunday. These will be followed three days later by the South Korean presidential election. Predictions are that Japan and South Korea will witness the emergence of new leadership.
Territorial disputes between Japan and China, and between Japan and South Korea, have intensified. These highlight the treacherous situation facing the Asia-Pacific region. As Japan and South Korea face domestic pressure with elections on the horizon, Taiwan has more flexibility in managing the disputes by leveraging claims of sovereignty and fishing rights.
In order to mitigate the tensions and antagonisms that might erupt into war, Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou has proposed an East China Sea peace initiative, with five points to resolve the territorial sovereignty issue. He urges all parties to refrain from antagonistic actions, to not abandon dialogue, to observe international law, to resolve disputes through peaceful means, and to form a mechanism for exploring and developing resources on a cooperative basis. Given upcoming events, the best way forward for eastern Asia is to embrace the initiative and join in forging a path of coexistence and mutual prosperity.
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public