- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: East Asia should embrace sea treaty
North Korea plans to test-fire a Taepodong II long-range ballistic missile sometime before the end of Dec. 22. The Japanese Diet elections and Tokyo gubernatorial election will be held Sunday. These will be followed three days later by the South Korean presidential election. Predictions are that Japan and South Korea will witness the emergence of new leadership.
Territorial disputes between Japan and China, and between Japan and South Korea, have intensified. These highlight the treacherous situation facing the Asia-Pacific region. As Japan and South Korea face domestic pressure with elections on the horizon, Taiwan has more flexibility in managing the disputes by leveraging claims of sovereignty and fishing rights.
In order to mitigate the tensions and antagonisms that might erupt into war, Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou has proposed an East China Sea peace initiative, with five points to resolve the territorial sovereignty issue. He urges all parties to refrain from antagonistic actions, to not abandon dialogue, to observe international law, to resolve disputes through peaceful means, and to form a mechanism for exploring and developing resources on a cooperative basis. Given upcoming events, the best way forward for eastern Asia is to embrace the initiative and join in forging a path of coexistence and mutual prosperity.
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Get Breaking Alerts
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkey not committed to Cyprus peace
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Spoiled-kid culture creates greedy adults
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's flawed Mideast 'peace' plan
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Foreign policy would distract Obama from social hour
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Hit Putin where it hurts over Ukraine