- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for another constitutional convention?
We finally have reached a time in our history when our Constitution may well need serious changes, and it will be up to the citizens to start the process.
After the November elections, people started signing petitions to have their states secede from the United States. There are few methods short of another civil war through which this can be done, but our forefathers gave us one way that does not require either war or Congress to pass any laws: a constitutional convention.
The U.S. Constitution requires two-thirds of the states, a total of 34, to pass a law calling for a constitutional convention. If 34 states called for a convention, representatives from each state would convene to propose changes or offer new amendments to the Constitution.
Here is where I would start if I could amend the U.S. Constitution: Require a balanced budget except in times of a war declared by Congress, impose term limits of six years for senators, four years for House members, and 20 years for Supreme Court justices. In addition, only U.S. citizens or persons actively seeking U.S. citizenship through legal channels would be afforded protection by the Constitution.
The Constitution starts off with the words “We, the people of the United States.” If the citizens of this country want change, they should take those words to heart.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws