- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
CURL: Freedom is not to blame for Newtown, Mr. President
This was not, as the president implied and the left has decried, guns, guns, guns. On the very same day as the Newtown murders, a deranged man slashed 22 children with a knife in an elementary school halfway around the world, cutting off fingers and ears. Adam Lanza, like Jason Loughner and James Holmes, was not “evil” — no human being in his right mind would take the lives of so many innocent people. He was sick. And, shocking as it may be to hear, it was not his fault, nor his mother’s or father’s fault — they had loved their boy, tried to help him, save him.
The president has twice before been quick to blame — both times divisively. When Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., was arrested after breaking into his home, the president — with virtually no facts at all — said “the Cambridge police acted stupidly.” After George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin, Mr. Obama said “If I had a son, he’d look like Trayvon” — when he should have said “the facts in the case are not yet known and everyone should tone down their racial rhetoric immediately.”
This time, in Newtown, America’s most divisive president laid the blame squarely on “freedom.” Somehow, America’s most cerebral president ever hasn’t yet learned this one simple fact about life: Sometimes, tragedies happen for absolutely no reason. If seeking “blame” for the horror in Newtown, there can be just one answer: A single young man, clearly insane, committed a horrible atrocity.
No one will ever know if the tragedy there could have been averted. But one thing we can all know for sure: America’s “freedom” was not to blame.
• Joseph Curl covered the White House and politics for a decade for The Washington Times. He can be reached at email@example.com.
About the Author
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Satanists petition for statue at Oklahoma Statehouse
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Never apologetic. Never afraid. Lieutenant Colonel Allen B. West joins Communities to bring tales from the biggest Foxhole of them all, the one inside the Beltway.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow