- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Stocks fall as hopes for a budget deal fade
Question of the Day
Stocks closed lower Monday on concerns that lawmakers will run out of time to reach a budget deal before the end of the year.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 52 points to close at 13,139 in a shortened holiday trading session.
The Standard & Poor’s 500 index fell three points to 1,427. The Nasdaq composite dropped 8 points to close at 3,013.
Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman, Connecticut independent, said it is now “more likely we’ll go over the ‘cliff’ than not,” following the failure of a plan by House Speaker John A. Boehner to allow tax rates to rise on wealthier Americans.
Failure to agree on a budget plan by Jan. 1 would lead to government spending cuts and tax increases that could push the economy into recession.
Stocks closed early, at 1 p.m. EST, before the Christmas holiday.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors