Continued from page 2

Mob hit man Calabrese dies in federal prison

CHICAGO — Chicago mobster Frank Calabrese Sr., a hit man who strangled victims and then slashed their throats to be sure they were dead, has died in a federal prison in North Carolina, authorities said.

Calabrese, 75, died Tuesday at the Butner Federal Medical Center, said Ed Ross, a spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Mr. Ross had no information on the cause of death, though Calabrese claimed at his sentencing in 2009 that he suffered from a host of ailments, including an enlarged heart.

“It’s very emotional right now because there were two sides to my dad, and I miss the good side,” Calabrese’s son, Frank Calabrese Jr., told the Chicago Sun-Times. He had helped put his father behind bars by secretly recording him boasting about mob killings.

Calabrese was among five men convicted in September 2007 at the Family Secrets trial, which resulted from a major, multiyear effort by the federal government to weaken the Chicago Outfit, as the city’s organized crime family calls itself.

The investigation also was aimed at clearing 18 unsolved mob murders dating back to the early 1970s. Calabrese was blamed for many of them and sentenced to life in prison.

PENNSYLVANIA

Ex-Nazi guard who fought deportation dies

PITTSBURGH — A lawyer says a former Nazi concentration camp guard who had been fighting attempts to deport him from the U.S. has died in Pennsylvania.

Attorney Adrian Roe says 88-year-old Anton Geiser died over the weekend and was buried Monday in Hermitage, about 75 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Geiser was born in what is now Croatia. He’d been living in Pennsylvania for more than 50 years but didn’t tell his family about the Nazi service until 2004, when the Justice Department began legal proceedings.

Geiser has said he was forced to join the S.S. at the age of 17 in 1942 and that he never killed anyone. But federal prosecutors say his work as a concentration camp guard made him a party to the persecution of countless men, women and children.

OKLAHOMA

4 children reported dead in house fire

OKLAHOMA CITY — Oklahoma City firefighters say a woman and four children are dead after a blaze at a house on the city’s northwest side.

Story Continues →