- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Composer/pianist Richard Rodney Bennett dies
Question of the Day
“I hated teaching composition. I was playing music I didn’t particularly want to play, being on committees I didn’t want to be on. I wanted to write music, and cook, and play cards, and have a nice time,” The Guardian quoted him as saying.
In New York he indulged his passion for jazz, accompanying singer Claire Martin in shows at the Algonquin Hotel and drawing praise from The New York Times as “a sensitive, truly intimate collaborator.”
He helped Paul McCartney with his orchestral work “Standing Stone,” commenting on sections faxed by the former Beatle.
“I sent him one, thinking it was pretty good,” McCartney said. “A few minutes later, I got a fax back with the word `feeble’ scribbled across it.
“I phoned him straight back and said, `Richard, that’s what my teacher wrote on my essays. You’re a sensitive artist, and if you don’t like something, could you please write, `That’s a little below par?’”
Bennett coached Elizabeth Taylor to sing a nursery rhyme for the film “Secret Ceremony,” for which he wrote the musical score. Prince Charles commissioned Bennett in 2005 to write “Reflection on a Scottish Folk Song” in honor of the prince’s grandmother, Queen Mother Elizabeth.
Bennett was knighted in 1998. Funeral details were not announced.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Federal judge rules D.C. ban on handguns in public is unconstitutional
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- The List: Top 20 TV medical shows
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq