- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
ZOGBY: President Obama’s weekly report card (Dec. 24-30)
Question of the Day
Pollster John Zogby grades the president's week and how its events affect him and his agenda.
Grade: C- (because he won)
"When is a victory not really a victory? As of this writing, it looks like there will be a deal on the 'fiscal cliff' and that it might be enough to avert the worst crises: no rise in taxes for the middle class, a restoration of Medicare payments, and an extension of unemployment insurance.
"The only bipartisan aspect of any of this is that both sides suggest that the president has won this round. However, we must now look to the next gargantuan battle in a couple of months when the issue of raising the debt ceiling raises its ugly head again. If there really is this limited deal, no one in Congress (of either party) wins a new chapter in an updated version of John F. Kennedy's 'Profiles In Courage' and no one emerges as a Henry Clay and Daniel Webster — brilliant, principled orators who knew how to make real compromises.
"When the sad history of this saga is told, the entire process (including the actors who played starring roles) must be described as worse than dysfunctional. This has been profoundly disrespectful to the American people, of all stripes, who voted in sufficient numbers to make this election matter. Voters wanted a deal, not the cheapest gravel that's laid down to cover up the pothole for a few days before it cracks again."
Last week's grade: F
• Follow pollster John Zogby on Twitter (@thejohnzogby)
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- HUSAIN: Fleeing Iraqi Christians find safe haven at the Shrine of Imam Ali
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq