- U.S. Navy admiral ‘receptive’ to giving Chinese counterpart a tour of carrier
- Islamic State orders female genital mutilation for Mosul girls, U.N. says
- Israeli fire hits U.N. facility in Gaza, killing 15
- Obama encourages ICE to stand down, say former border agents
- Pro-Palestinian protesters attack Israeli soccer team in Austria match
- Virginia police: 2 dead after storm at campground
- Ukrainian prime minister announces resignation
- House members question $17 billion VA request
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Obama’s motorcade prevents woman in labor from crossing street to hospital
U.S. attorney in New Orleans resigns during probe of online posts
Question of the Day
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — U.S. Attorney Jim Letten, whose successful prosecution of a former Louisiana governor and numerous other public officials won him bipartisan praise for more than a decade, resigned Thursday while the Justice Department investigates alleged misconduct by his top deputies.
Mr. Letten’s announcement was an abrupt end to his tenure as the nation’s longest-serving U.S. attorney. His crusade against crime resulted in convictions of corrupt judges, killer police officers, bribe-taking officials in New Orleans’ long-troubled school system, and scammers who tried to rip off Hurricane Katrina aid programs. He first won fame as an assistant U.S. attorney leading the successful 2000 racketeering prosecution of former Gov. Edwin Edwards.
Mr. Letten didn’t address the allegations against his deputies during a news conference Thursday. He previously said that he had no idea what his deputies were doing until the online activity was revealed in court filings.
He said the decision to resign, effective Dec. 11, came after discussions with colleagues, Justice Department officials and his family.
“The decision ultimately was mine,” Mr. Letten said.
Dana Boente, the first assistant U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, was appointed in the interim.
Mr. Letten didn’t take any questions from reporters before he left the room, kissing his wife and hugging tearful colleagues on his way out.
His success made him one of the city’s most popular public figures, but his support among political officials in both parties diminished after revelations about the online activities of two veteran prosecutors in his office.
One, Sal Perricone, resigned in March after acknowledging he criticized judges and politicians and commented on cases in anonymous posts on a local newspaper’s website. Mr. Letten demoted his top assistant, Jan Mann, last month after she also confessed to posting anonymous comments on the same site.
The Justice Department’s Office of Professional Responsibility is investigating the matter.
The authors of the posts were unmasked in court filings by attorneys for New Orleans businessman Fred Heebe, whose landfill operations are the subject of a federal probe.
Mr. Letten has said he didn’t know about Mr. Perricone’s and Ms. Mann’s online posts until after Mr. Heebe’s court filings.
Mr. Heebe was nominated by then-President George W. Bush as U.S. attorney in November 2001 but withdrew amid allegations that he had abused an ex-girlfriend and his ex-wife — allegations that he denied.
Mr. Letten was the acting U.S. attorney at the time. He held onto the post through the Bush years and was kept in what is often a political patronage position by President Obama.
Mr. Letten is stepping down at a time when his office is ramping up an investigation of former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin’s administration. The probe already has resulted in guilty pleas by two businessmen who said they bribed an unidentified city official during Mr. Nagin’s tenure. It also has threatened to undermine other high-profile cases.
Last month, a federal judge ordered the Justice Department to conduct a new investigation of media leaks related to its probe of deadly police shootings on a New Orleans bridge after Hurricane Katrina. U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt initially called for an investigation in June, but he said a report submitted by Ms. Mann is tainted and must be redone.
Judge Engelhardt presided over a trial in which five former officers were convicted of civil rights violations stemming from the Danziger Bridge shootings. Defense attorneys have asked Judge Engelhardt to order a new trial, arguing that media leaks deprived their clients of a fair trial.
Judge Engelhardt urged the Justice Department to appoint a court-approved independent counsel to investigate the online posts and media leaks. On Thursday, Mr. Holder announced the appointment of John Horn, first assistant U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Georgia, to oversee the department’s new investigation of the matter.
Sen. Mary L. Landrieu, a Louisiana Democrat who has supported Mr. Letten even though he was initially appointed by a Republican president, said Mr. Letten’s record of rooting out public corruption should be commended despite the “troubling” allegations about his deputes. Mrs. Landrieu said she will forward a short list of candidates to replace Mr. Letten to Mr. Holder and the White House in the coming weeks.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Whistleblowers flood VA with lawsuits despite apology
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Obama dispatches researchers to border to check on National Guard
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq