- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: New political oligarchy
There are growing similarities between our government and the rulers of the Middle Ages. Politicians from both political parties have decided to join forces with the news media to set up an old-fashioned oligarchy. The persistent calls for moderation and bipartisanship to stifle all political challenges are directly related to the growing argument by politicians that the machinations of government have become too complex to be understood by the foolhardy, ignorant voter.
Before the invention of the printing press, people were hampered in verifying any claim made by their minders as to the veracity of their prognostications. Today, we have essentially the same scenario, in which Wall Street financiers have become the new soothsayers, using complex investment instruments of their own making to foretell doom and gloom coming from any economic insurrection by conservative Tea Party members.
It seems that no matter how educated humankind becomes, there are those who will use the vicissitudes of events and the ambiguity of language to create a cloud of confusion impenetrable by most levels of education. Ivy League graduates, who populate government and Wall Street, delight in their ability to refute any argument against their authority with senseless gobbledygook that rivals the sadistic sophistry uttered by the intelligentsia of the Middle Ages.
MATTHEW R. POWENSKI
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Yelp.com's ethics questioned