- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: New political oligarchy
Question of the Day
There are growing similarities between our government and the rulers of the Middle Ages. Politicians from both political parties have decided to join forces with the news media to set up an old-fashioned oligarchy. The persistent calls for moderation and bipartisanship to stifle all political challenges are directly related to the growing argument by politicians that the machinations of government have become too complex to be understood by the foolhardy, ignorant voter.
Before the invention of the printing press, people were hampered in verifying any claim made by their minders as to the veracity of their prognostications. Today, we have essentially the same scenario, in which Wall Street financiers have become the new soothsayers, using complex investment instruments of their own making to foretell doom and gloom coming from any economic insurrection by conservative Tea Party members.
It seems that no matter how educated humankind becomes, there are those who will use the vicissitudes of events and the ambiguity of language to create a cloud of confusion impenetrable by most levels of education. Ivy League graduates, who populate government and Wall Street, delight in their ability to refute any argument against their authority with senseless gobbledygook that rivals the sadistic sophistry uttered by the intelligentsia of the Middle Ages.
MATTHEW R. POWENSKI
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- KUHNER: Who betrayed Navy SEAL Team 6?