- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
Olympics ceremony gets nod at London stage awards
LONDON (AP) - Director Danny Boyle’s Olympics opening ceremony is a finalist for theater event of the year at London’s Whatsonstage awards.
Boyle’s spectacular panorama of British history and culture is up against the “Globe to Globe” season of Shakespeare plays, the opening of London’s new St. James Theatre and the world premiere of Susan Boyle musical “I Dreamed a Dream.”
Movie-inspired romance “The Bodyguard” is nominated for six prizes, including best new musical and best actress, for Heather Headley.
“Singin’ In the Rain” and “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time” also have six nominations apiece.
Acting nominees announced Friday include Mark Rylance, Rupert Everett, David Suchet, Julie Walters and Sally Hawkins.
The prizes, run by theater website whatsonstage.com, are decided by public vote. Winners will be announced Feb. 17.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.