- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
`The Help’ cleans up at 43rd NAACP Image Awards
Question of the Day
In presenting the award, Jackson said he has always loved “Star Wars” and would have done anything to appear in an installment of the space story. He recalled telling Lucas: “I’ll be a Storm Trooper and just run across the screen. Nobody even has to know I’m in it.”
Jackson went on to play Mace Windu in the three “Star Wars” prequels.
Hudson was also a winner Friday, claiming the outstanding album prize for “I Remember Me.”
Other winners announced during the two-hour telecast hosted by Sanaa Lathan and Anthony Mackie included Regina King, named outstanding actress for her work in the drama “SouthLAnd,” and Tracee Ellis Ross and Malcolm-Jamal Warner for their lead roles in the comedy “Reed Between the Lines.”
Radio pioneer Cathy Hughes accepted the Chairman’s Award at a separate ceremony in New Jersey that was included in the broadcast on NBC.
Gospel singer Kirk Franklin closed the program with a version of Houston’s “The Greatest Love of All” before launching into his uplifting song, “Today.”
The Image Awards are presented annually by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and the group’s members select the winners. As she accepted her award, King thanked the organization for “continuously providing a stage to recognize and applaud us.”
“We need it,” the “SouthLAnd” star said. “There is some magnificent talent here that would not be recognized otherwise.”
AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen is on Twitter: www.twitter.com/APSandy.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
- HUSAIN: Worlds grand ayatollahs rally behind Sistani
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors