- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Lovato, McHale pair for Teen Choice hosting duties
Question of the Day
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Kristin Stewart will surely be sailing away with a few new surfboards at this year’s Teen Choice Awards.
Stewart’s “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn _ Part 1” and “Snow White & The Huntsman” both lead the nominees at Sunday’s fan-favorite ceremony with seven nods a piece.
Pop star and new “The X Factor” judge Demi Lovato is set to host the 14th annual extravaganza alongside “Glee” co-star Kevin McHale. The teen-fueled ceremony honors film, TV, music and sports stars in such silly categories as choice hottie, villain, liplock and hissy fit.
The Hollywood frolic televised live on Fox comes two days after the midnight massacre at a Colorado movie theater showing “The Dark Knight Rises,” killing 12 and injuring 58. Show organizers say that “The Dark Knight Rises” was not up for any Teen Choice awards this year nor was any reference to the tragedy planned during the show.
The show is also airing in the wake of a fog machine malfunction that forced the evacuation of a Hollywood nightclub Saturday night hosting a Teen Choice Awards pre-party featuring the boy band Midnight Red. Los Angeles Fire department spokesman Brian Humphrey said six people, ages 8 to 20 years old, were taken to the hospital for problems ranging from headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath and cryogenic burns.
Others up for multiple surfboard-shaped trophies include the CW’s “The Vampire Diaries” with six nominations, and Fox’s “American Idol” and Justin Bieber with five nods each.
Bieber will serve as one of the show’s musical performers, along with Carly Rae Jepsen, Flo Rida and No Doubt. DJ Pauly D of “Jersey Shore” will be on hand as the house DJ.
Celebrities expected to attend the Gibson Amphitheater ceremony include Miley Cyrus, Zooey Deschanel, Ellen DeGeneres, Zac Efron, Selena Gomez, Josh Hutcherson, Lea Michele, Jordin Sparks and Taylor Swift.
AP Entertainment Writer Derrik J. Lang is on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/derrikjlang/.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- KING: "Man-caused disaster" on the southern border
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq