- DOJ reaches largest-ever federal government settlement over auto loan discrimination
- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Don’t be bought by Obamacare rebate
Question of the Day
This week, I received a rebate on my health insurance premium because the Affordable Care Act has regulated BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina and every health care insurer in the country. Experience tells me I'll repay that vote-buying gesture and much more under this new legislation, so I've chosen to invest that rebate in America's future by donating half to Mitt Romney's campaign for president and half to Jim DeMint's Senate Conservative Fund.
Ironically, Obamacare has given me funds to help elect those who can repeal the federal government's takeover of our health care industry, 16 percent of our gross domestic product. I encourage others who receive this rebate to help turn this country in the right direction. We should support those who believe less government is better government, who have respect for our Constitution and who practice fiscal restraint with our tax dollars.
The 2012 election will echo a profound choice for our country and perhaps the world: Do we want more socialism or more free enterprise? To quote Founding Father Thomas Jefferson, "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." As our country teeters on the brink of succumbing to the failed European model, we must support the candidates who will stop this downward spiral.
Hilton Head Island, S.C.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By John McAfee
Get Breaking Alerts
- Breaking Fad: Alligators becoming the new pit bulls for drug dealers, cops say
- D.C. to tout Obamacare among youth waiting for Air Jordans
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- TARGET credit card theft swells to 40 million victims
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Obama: 2014 will be 'breakthrough year' for U.S.
- Dems use new filibuster rules to approve DHS nominee Alejandro Mayorkas under investigation
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.