- House passes VA reform compromise
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
Economy Briefs: Stock indexes drift lower, ending a two-day rally
Question of the Day
ATHENS — The three parties in Greece’s young coalition government failed Monday to finalize a major new package of budget savings that rescue lenders are demanding as a condition for continued bailout funds the country needs to avoid getting forced out of the eurozone.
But junior coalition partners said the meeting under conservative Prime Minister Antonis Samaras reached an agreement on the debt-crippled country’s “overall strategy” — including that it should obtain a two-year extension on its austerity and reform deadlines.
Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras told journalists that the government is still working to precisely identify what kinds of spending cuts to include in the new $14.1 billion package for 2013-14, although the three coalition partners have signed off on the bulk of the plan.
But Mr. Stournaras stressed that the final decisions should not hamper the country’s efforts to seek a renegotiation of its harsh bailout terms, “and, above all, [should] not annul our country’s ability to remain within the eurozone.”
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world