- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Tuning in to TV: ‘Idol’s‘ Jermaine Jones reportedly disqualified
Question of the Day
Jermaine Jones is apparently out on "American Idol." The 25-year-old vocal instructor from Pine Hill, N.J., tweeted Tuesday night that he no longer would be on the Fox singing contest, the Associated Press reports.
He wrote on his official "Idol" Twitter account: "Awww I will no longer b on the show." The post and that account later were deleted.
According to TMZ.com, Mr. Jones was disqualified from the show after it was discovered he had concealed "multiple crimes." He reportedly was charged in two crimes last year, one involving violence.
A Fox spokeswoman declined to comment on the matter or confirm his tweet.
The so-called "gentle giant," as he was dubbed by "Idol" host Ryan Seacrest, was among the show's viewer-selected top 13 finalists after the judges gave him a last-minute spot among the 11th season's top 13 male semifinalists.
He was among the bottom three vote-getters last week after performing Stevie Wonder's "Knocks Me Off My Feet" but advanced to the group of top 12 singers.
"Idol" contestants in the past have been disqualified when the show deems that their work or personal history is an issue.
Corey Clark was disqualified for concealing his arrest record during the second season in 2003. Frenchie Davis also was dropped from "Idol" that year because of her previous appearance on an adult website.
HBO's 'Luck' stops filming with horses after 3rd death
A horse was injured and euthanized Tuesday during production of the racetrack drama "Luck," the third death in connection with the series, and HBO agreed to suspend filming with horses while the accident is investigated.
The humane group that oversees Hollywood productions had issued an immediate demand "that all production involving horses shut down," the Associated Press reports.
"We are also insisting that this stoppage remain in full effect pending a complete, thorough, and comprehensive investigation," the American Humane Association said in a statement. It noted that the accident didn't occur during filming or racing.
The animal was being led to a Santa Anita Park racetrack stable by a groom when it reared and fell back Tuesday morning, suffering a head injury, according to HBO. The horse was euthanized at the track in suburban Arcadia, where "Luck" is filming its second season.
In the series, which was created by David Milch ("Deadwood," "NYPD Blue") and looks at racing's seedier side, Dustin Hoffman plays a crime kingpin who's scheming to gain control of a racetrack and introduce casino gambling.
During filming in 2010 and 2011, two horses were hurt during racing scenes and euthanized. HBO defended its treatment of the animals, saying it's worked with the American Humane Association and racing industry experts to implement safety protocols that exceed film and TV industry standards.
The American Humane Association's film and TV unit, the group sanctioned and supported by the entertainment industry to protect animals used in filming, called for a production halt at the Santa Anita Racetrack in suburban Arcadia after the second horse's death.
Racing resumed after new protocols were put in place and proved effective, Karen Rosa, the AHA unit's senior vice president, said in February.
On Tuesday, Dr. Gary Beck, a California Horse Racing Board veterinarian, said he had just examined the horse as part of routine health and safety procedures before it was to race later in the day. The horse passed the inspection, the AHA said.
Maria Sharapova doesn't want any 'Dancing' shoes
Don't look for Maria Sharapova to strut her stuff on "Dancing With the Stars."
She said she wouldn't be interested in following in the dancing shoes of fellow tennis superstar Martina Navratilova, who is among the newest celebrities set to dance when the show begins Monday.
"Even though I like to dance and all, there's something about dancing in prom costumes in front of national television that is just not very appealing to me," Sharapova said Tuesday after her match at the BNP Paribas Open tournament in Indian Wells, Calif.
The former Wimbledon champion said she's never really watched the ABC reality hit, and isn't sure what it takes to win that kind of competition.
"Like is it a lot of practice or is it personality?" she said.
Sharapova, who rakes in millions off the court in endorsements, recently appeared on the late-night show "Chelsea Lately," and attended the Vanity Fair Oscar party.
Ricki Lake's new show will give fans a voice
Ricki Lake's upcoming talk show is issuing an invitation: go online and join a production meeting.
Beginning Thursday, "The Ricki Lake Show" will put a planning session live on Facebook once a month. The goal is to let people get a peek at the series' development and weigh in on it, Miss Lake and producer-distributor 20th Television said Tuesday.
"The Ricki Lake Show" will debut this fall.
Stephen Brown, senior vice president with 20th Television, said Miss Lake and the producers will ask for feedback on program elements including set design, website and music.
Clint Eastwood's family to star in reality show
Clint Eastwood's family is coming to TV in a new reality show. The E! network said Tuesday that "Mrs. Eastwood & Company" will premiere May 20 as a 10-episode series.
According to the Associated Press, the show spotlights Dina Eastwood, who has been married to the Oscar-winning actor-director since 1996. Also on hand are the Eastwoods' 15-year-old daughter, Morgan, as well as 18-year-old Francesca, Mr. Eastwood's daughter with actress Frances Fisher.
Rounding out the cast is the all-male, six-member vocal group Overtone, managed by Mrs. Eastwood.
Mr. Eastwood is expected to make guest appearances.
• Compiled from Web and wire service reports.
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Gen. James Amos, Marine Corps commandant, slams Obama's handling of Iraq
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq