- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare wastes freedom, cash
Big government is unable to run just about anything efficiently with any semblance of cost effectiveness (“Why Obamacare is bad for America’s health,” Commentary, Monday).
The constitutional issue with Obamacare before the Supreme Court is the Commerce Clause. The Obama administration contends that under this clause it can compel every citizen to purchase health insurance and penalize those who refuse to do so. The counter position is that government can’t impose that requirement because the Commerce Clause does not apply to an individual’s decision to purchase or not purchase health insurance.
Obamacare will create numerous bureaucracies at all levels of government that will do nothing more than increase the cost of the overall program while putting nonmedical people in charge of the quality of care delivered. Currently, there is some degree of care exercised by the private insurers because there are profit and competition motives involved: The individual has a choice in the plan and provider he chooses, or he may opt out of insurance.
Monopolies - and Obamacare will be a government monopoly - are neither efficient nor cost effective.
The problem with government is simple: Competition and no profit motive mean there is no incentive to be efficient. NASA may be the only agency that was run pretty well in recent history, and that was because it was generously funded and the bulk of the work was done by contractors.
Some contend Obamacare is a power grab by the executive branch to control a major portion of the U.S. economy and the lives of citizens. If the Supreme Court doesn’t strike down Obamacare, government will be able to dictate anything it wants. I hope the Supreme Court upholds the Constitution - and our individual freedoms.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
Get Breaking Alerts
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests