- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
Maurice Sendak remembered by authors, celebrities
Maurice Sendak was not interested in being loved. His curmudgeonly persona became as much a part of his legend as his famed book, "Where the Wild Things Are." But loved he was. The death on Tuesday of the author and illustrator who revolutionized children's books prompted an outpouring from authors and other celebrities roaring their terrible roars.
"Maurice Sendak was strikingly honest. His art gave us a fantastical but unromanticized reminder of what childhood truly felt like. We are all honored to have been briefly invited into his world." _ comedian Stephen Colbert
"A sad day in children's books and for the world. I just learned that Maurice Sendak has died." _ Author RL Stine, via Twitter
"Maurice Sendak has died. I cannot put into words what I am feeling, what he and his work meant to me." _ Author Judy Blume, via Twitter
"He began to be honest in the `50s. He was laceratingly honest at a time when few others were." _ "Wicked" author Gregory Maguire
"And the walls became the world all around." -Where the Wild Things Are. (hash)RIPMauriceSendak" _ Author Jodi Picoult, via Twitter
"He was unique, grumpy, brilliant, gay, wise, magical and made the world better by creating art in it. (hash)RIPMauriceSendak" _ Author Neil Gaiman, via Twitter
"Maurice Sendak has left us for the land of the wild things. May he carry on adventuring." _ Actor Elijah Wood, via Twitter
"RIP Maurice Sendak. I will always think of you in the Night Kitchen." _ Actress Molly Ringwald, via Twitter
"RIP Maurice Sendak. A literary GIANT for the kids and the kids inside all of us." _ Adam Savage, host of "Mythbusters," via Twitter
"Maurice Sendak is painting with the gods now. Rest in peace, friend." _ Author L Halse Anderson, via Twitter
"My daughter and I just poured out a sippy-cup of apple juice on the curb for the great Maurice Sendak." _ Jeopardy uber-champion Ken Jennings, via Twitter
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Snow storm sucker punch: U.S. hit by winter wave
- Syria mess may spawn 'Islamic emirate' world must deal with, says Iraq's top diplomat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
- GORDON: Purging America's military
- Obamacare's bold vision turns murky: Health reform downsized, promises broken
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
White House pets gone wild!