- Ben Sasse scores Sen. Ted Cruz’s endorsement for Nebraska Senate primary
- Beer-flavored lollipops make debut: ‘An All-American slam-dunk’
- Gabby Giffords’ gun control push gets high-profile speaker: Bill Clinton
- Tony Blair to warn West: Take sides against radical Islam
- Pfc. Bradley Manning’s name change to Chelsea heads to court
- NYPD’s attempt at positive Twitter outreach campaign proves to be an epic fail
- Michigan man among first in U.S. to get ‘bionic eye’
- JetBlue pilots vote to unionize; 2 previous attempts failed
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with ‘full-time’ robots
- Navy’s military dolphins may meet Putin’s porpoises in Black Sea
Inside China: Carrier set for drills
Facing international criticism and possible sanctions from world sporting authorities, Chinese officials recently rushed to the public stage to explain the ban.
Through state-run media, the Beijing Marathon organizing committee issued a statement after Japan’s Kyodo News Agency reported the story. The statement said the reason for barring Japanese runners was “safety concerns” for them. It did not elaborate.
The official Chinese explanation failed to convince most Japanese.
The Beijing Marathon banned Japanese sponsors as well, the first time such a ban has been applied in the marathon’s history. Up to now, Japanese corporations, including All Nippon Airways and Canon, were major sponsors of the event.
Despite violent attacks on all things Japanese and Japanese-speaking people in China after the outbreak of bilateral tensions over the disputed islands several months ago, Japanese athletes also took part unmolested in other high-profile events.
On Nov. 3, Japanese figure skaters Mao Asada beat Russia’s Julia Lipnitskaia and Finland’s Kiira Korpi to win the Cup of China. Ms. Asada’s compatriot, Tatsuki Machida, won the men’s singles in Shanghai at the same event — all without any incidents.
• Miles Yu’s column appears Thursdays. He can be reached at email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Miles Yu’s column appears Fridays. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Inside China: Space technology, trade practices of China a concern for Latin America countries
- Inside China: Does active role of Chinese in search for missing Malaysia jet have a dual purpose?
- Inside China: Why Putin's intervention in Ukraine is bad news for China
- Inside China: Long march to Africa
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- IRS revokes conservative group's tax-exempt status over anti-Clinton statements: report
- Ministry of Truth: SCOTUS skeptical of law to police campaign 'lies'
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- HURT: President Obama's 'Selfie Doctrine'
- SOWELL: The high cost of liberalism, open spaces and affordable housing
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren: 'I'm not running for president'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.