- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Check China now
Question of the Day
Despite its contiguity to the Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia, and with a fifth of the world’s shipping lanes, China demands virtually the entirety of the sea as redress for its own tragic 19th and 20th century experiences.
In addition to threatening and harassing its smaller neighbors, most notably the Philippines, China significantly upped the ante over the summer by unilaterally planting its flag in the Paracel Islands. Coupled with its unprecedented and unnecessary military buildup, China’s warlike aggression is undeniable.
If China is not checked, we will wake up one day with a communist dictatorship in control of the world’s vital shipping lanes and our economy hostage to its whims. The United States must immediately renounce China’s claims over the Paracels and station a larger part of its Navy throughout the sea in support of allied nations and in defiance of China’s actions. Having made a large down payment in blood and treasure to further peace and freedom in Asia over the past 70 years, the United States has not only the absolute right to do this, but the obligation as well. Failure to do so will only encourage a dictatorship, something history warns against.
West Jefferson, Ohio
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- NAPOLITANO: Pope Francis should be saving souls, not pocketbooks
- Federal deficit shrinks 20 percent in fiscal 2014