- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
BOOK REVIEW: ‘Truman’s Triumphs’
It wasn’t until Sen. Barry Goldwater of Arizona won the GOP presidential nomination in 1964 that the conservatives regained control of the party and that proved only temporary until former California Gov. Ronald Reagan was nominated and won in 1980.
Mr. Busch’s points are well taken. However, his dry prose and tendency to get bogged down in minutiae may make it unlikely that his audience will expand much beyond hard-core political aficionados. Those who do read “Truman’s Triumphs: The 1948 Election and the Making of Postwar America” will most likely come away thinking that their time has been well-spent.
• Claude R. Marx, an award-winning journalist, is writing a biography of William Howard Taft.
By Tammy Bruce
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again