- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Richard Hurd, ex-Baylor basketball player, faces sentencing for extorting RG3
WACO, Texas — A former Baylor basketball player has been sentenced to 18 months in federal prison for trying to extort $1 million from Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.
U.S. District Judge Walter Smith also ordered 26-year-old Richard Hurd pay a $1,000 fine for threatening to release unspecified damaging information about Griffin last June.
Hurd could have been sentenced to as many as three years behind bars after pleading guilty in September to two charges relating to the scam, uncovered when Griffin's agent contacted authorities.
During a brief hearing Wednesday, Hurd told Smith that he had "messed up" and wanted to apologize to his family.
Griffin won the Heisman Trophy at Baylor last year and was the second player selected in the 2012 draft.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.