The Rolling Stones are facing a fine that some estimate could reach $320,000 after the rock band played past a strict London noise curfew Sunday night.
The legendary band performed at London’s O2 Arena to kick off its “50 and Counting” tour that celebrates its 50th anniversary. The 21/2-hour gig ended with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” with the Telegraph on Monday reporting that they had planned to end with “Satisfaction,” but cut the classic due to the curfew.
On Tuesday, the Telegraph said the Stones were facing a fine for wrapping up the concert around 11 p.m.
The curfew calls for Sunday performances to end at 10:20 p.m., with time for a “quick” encore after that, effectively requiring musicians to leave the stage at 10:30 p.m.
The size of the fine wasn’t immediately clear, but The Sun tabloid estimated it at $320,000.
The band’s agent, Bernard Doherty, told The Sun: “It means a big fine — but the guys just do their thing. There wasn’t a janitor standing there, jangling his keys, saying. ‘I want to go home.’ “
According to reports, lead singer Mick Jagger said out loud on stage Sunday that his band members had better “get a move on” due to the noise curfew.
The estimated fine is, of course, much smaller than the short tour’s projected revenue. It was expected to bring in $25 million before a fifth gig in Brooklyn was added to concerts in London and New Jersey.
The London curfew earlier this year made headlines when two other music legends ran afoul of it. Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney had their microphones cut off on stage in the British capital’s Hyde Park after Mr. Springsteen had exceeded the curfew.
“When did England become a police state?” Springsteen guitarist Steven Van Zandt tweeted after the incident, and Mr. Springsteen made fun of the curfew during performances elsewhere in the days following the interruption.
Jon Bon Jovi, Grohl, Vedder join Sandy benefit show
Jon Bon Jovi, Dave Grohl and Eddie Vedder are adding to the star power at next month’s Superstorm Sandy benefit concert at Madison Square Garden.
A news release said the three rock stars will join Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, Paul McCartney, Kanye West, Roger Waters, Alicia Keys, The Who, Billy Joel and others on Dec. 12 to raise money for the Robin Hood Relief Fund to benefit devastated areas of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Those areas were especially hard hit by Sandy earlier this month, killing dozens and causing billions of dollars in damage.
Tickets for the concert, dubbed “12-12-12,” go on sale at noon Dec. 3.
Halle Berry’s ex-boyfriend granted restraining order
Halle Berry’s ex-boyfriend claims the actress’s fiance threatened to kill him during a Thanksgiving confrontation that left him under arrest with a broken rib and bruised face.
Gabriel Aubry’s claims are included in court filings that led a judge Monday to grant a restraining order against actor Olivier Martinez, who is engaged to the Oscar-winning actress.
Mr. Aubry, 37, was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after his confrontation with Mr. Martinez on Thursday, but he stated in the civil court filings that he was not the aggressor and that he was threatened and attacked without provocation. Mr. Martinez told police that Mr. Aubry attacked first, the filings state.
A representative for Mr. Martinez could not be immediately reached for comment.
Mr. Aubry’s filing claims Mr. Martinez threatened him the day before the fight at an event at his daughter’s school. Mr. Aubry, a model, has a 4-year-old daughter with Miss Berry and the former couple have been engaged in a lengthy custody battle.
The proceedings have been confidential, but Mr. Aubry states a major aspect of the case was Miss Berry’s wish to move to Paris and take her daughter with her. The request was denied Nov. 9, Miss Berry’s court filings state, and Mr. Aubry shares joint custody of the young girl.
Mr. Aubry claims Mr. Martinez told him, “You cost us $3 million,” while he was punched and kicked in the driveway of Miss Berry’s home. Mr. Aubry had gone to the home to allow his daughter to spend Thanksgiving with her mother, the filings state. Mr. Aubry claims Mr. Martinez threatened to kill him if Mr. Aubry didn’t move to Paris.
Miss Berry was not in the driveway during the confrontation and neither was their daughter, the documents state.
Photos of Mr. Aubry’s face with cuts and a black eye were included in his court filing.
A judge set a hearing for Dec. 17 to consider whether a three-year restraining order should be granted. Mr. Aubry has a Dec. 13 court date for the possible battery case, which has not yet been filed by prosecutors.
Three ‘Evita’ leads to leave show in January
The “Big Three” in the Broadway musical “Evita” — Ricky Martin, Elena Roger and Michael Cerveris — will leave the show together after the Jan. 26 performance.
Producers of the Tony Award-nominated revival of Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s landmark musical said Monday night the show will continue its open-ended run, and new stars will be announced at a later date.
The revival opened March 12 at Broadway’s Marquis Theatre, directed by Michael Grandage and choreographed by Rob Ashford. It has broken the theater’s box office record seven times, but now faces a tough time filling its three main roles.
The musical tells the story of Argentina’s Eva Peron, who rose from the slums to the presidential mansion. Miss Roger plays Eva, Mr. Cerveris her husband and Mr. Martin is Che.
• Compiled from Web and wire reports