- Hawaii Health Department head killed in plane crash
- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Creator of ‘Selfies at Funerals’ blog retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Turkeys are people, too
Question of the Day
It is so predictable that only the amusingly named Center for Consumer Freedom, which complains about Mothers Against Drunk Driving, minimum wage, environmental protection, and human and animal welfare groups, could possibly object to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals‘ (PETA) recent efforts to promote the ever-growing vegetarian food industry and make the world a kinder place for turkeys (Inside the Beltway: “Vegetarians have a squawk,” Nov. 21).
I’ve met turkeys, and they never did anything that merited decapitation. Not harming someone or something is common decency. Being decent should be the norm. If we worry only about seeing our grandchildren grow up, we should remember PETA has a point: It’s never too late to go vegetarian.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert