- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Proud to be an American
I recently came across an area on a local highway where American flags were on display for the upcoming Veterans Day celebration. Under each flag was the name of a fallen hero and the war or country where his ultimate sacrifice was made. Not one of these occurred in the United States. Every flag represented the life of an American who gave his all so that freedom might be attained in other lands. It made me proud to be an American.
I wonder how those fallen heroes would have reacted in 2008 when newly elected President Obama made comments overseas about America’s arrogance, or when the soon-to-be first lady commented that same year about being proud of America for the first time in her life as her husband campaigned for office. Neither of these instances sounds like leadership honoring America’s heritage.
Our country is an experiment in freedom unlike any other nation. We have grown through many adversities during our 236 years. There is always room for improvement, but there is no other nation — ordained for good by God — like the United States of America.
ED MULVANEY JR.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class