- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lament for lost America
Question of the Day
The American people have spoken. With the re-election of President Obama, America is on her way to complete conversion to a socialist country ("Election 2012: Obama re-elected without a mandate," Web, Wednesday).
This will not be the kind of socialism of Greece, where the government foolishly has spent the country's resources and the people are suffering greatly for it. Nor will it be like the former Soviet Union, where even an aspirin could not be found in the apothecaries and standing in line to buy bread was an everyday necessity. Mr. Obama's socialist America will have the peasants dancing in the streets for joy, and why not? We will be taken care of from the womb to the tomb.
One of the cornerstones of Mr. Obama's socialist country is the redistribution of wealth. Targeted for their wealth will be those "greedy" oil companies. In the words of Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. about America's economy, "It's all about a three-letter word, J-O-B-S, jobs." Government jobs, that is.
Cry, the beloved country we once were.
STELLA L. JATRAS
Camp Hill, Pa.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
Get Breaking Alerts
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Obama's 'blank check' rejected as border solution
- Inside the Beltway: White House grade slips to 'F'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals