- Ukraine PM vows to find ‘bastards’ behind anti-Semitic fliers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation in South Korea
- Militants kill 14 Algerian soldiers in ambush
- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: U.S. presidents no longer role models
While first lady Michelle Obama stated she was not proud of America until her husband was elected president, I am not proud to be an American because we once again have elected a man of dubious character.
Mr. Obama is an admitted former drug user and a friend of former terrorist Bill Ayers, who bombed various targets, including the U.S. Capitol. Let us not forget that he counted among his closest confidants the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who has vehemently and repeatedly condemned Americans and preached racial hatred against white Americans.
Any of the above would have caused public rebuke years ago. Nowadays, though, most Americans and reporters tolerate deviant behavior or bad character. When Bill Clinton was running for president in 1992, there was a tremendous uproar when he said he had tried marijuana once but had not inhaled.
The U.S. president used to be a role model for youngsters. However, I would not want children to admire a president who has indulged in illegal substances or associated with people who have used violence and condemned America.
The United States is a country where school shootings have erupted, illegal drug use seems to be the norm and teenage crime rates are soaring. It’s no wonder we turn a blind eye to a person’s character. Americans have come to accept deviant behavior as a part of society.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Former Blue Angels commander relieved of duty for alleged misconduct
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?