- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: U.S. presidents no longer role models
Question of the Day
While first lady Michelle Obama stated she was not proud of America until her husband was elected president, I am not proud to be an American because we once again have elected a man of dubious character.
Mr. Obama is an admitted former drug user and a friend of former terrorist Bill Ayers, who bombed various targets, including the U.S. Capitol. Let us not forget that he counted among his closest confidants the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, who has vehemently and repeatedly condemned Americans and preached racial hatred against white Americans.
Any of the above would have caused public rebuke years ago. Nowadays, though, most Americans and reporters tolerate deviant behavior or bad character. When Bill Clinton was running for president in 1992, there was a tremendous uproar when he said he had tried marijuana once but had not inhaled.
The U.S. president used to be a role model for youngsters. However, I would not want children to admire a president who has indulged in illegal substances or associated with people who have used violence and condemned America.
The United States is a country where school shootings have erupted, illegal drug use seems to be the norm and teenage crime rates are soaring. It's no wonder we turn a blind eye to a person's character. Americans have come to accept deviant behavior as a part of society.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch