- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Election Day gratitude
I am grateful. While Syrian President Bashar Assad massacres his own people to stay in power, we in America just witnessed a strongly contested election for the most powerful position in our government — without bloodshed. Had Mitt Romney won, President Obama in January would have handed over to him the reins of America. For his part, Mr. Romney gave a gracious concession speech, and he will not pursue a bloody coup.
Along the way, opposition to our current president has been expressed by some news organizations, on Facebook, in town halls and in classrooms, just as vehemently as it was when President George W. Bush was in office. Thankfully, those opposing the president can do so without fear of being killed or tortured or having family members “disappear” just because they have expressed their disagreement.
In four years, we will have another election, and again, there will be a guarantee of a bloodless transfer of power to a new president. As I look at the events around the world, that fact is truly awe-inspiring. What a country this is.
While there are things that I disagree with about our government’s policies and politics, Election Day highlights why I am so thankful to be an American and to have served alongside others who have fought and died to ensure that our democracy endures.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans