- Obama hosting annual Easter Egg Roll
- Big Bang a big question for most Americans: Poll
- Jimmy Carter’s grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Supreme Court issues no ruling on case challenging N.J. gun law
- Sharyl Attkisson: Media Matters ‘clearly targeted me’
- Sherpas consider boycott after Everest avalanche
- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
Rebels capture security posts in northern Syria
BEIRUT — Activists say Syrian rebels have killed more than 20 soldiers and captured three security compounds in a northern town near the border with Turkey.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says the capture of the compounds and the deaths on Friday came during intense clashes in the town of Ras al-Ayn near the border with Turkey.
The Observatory said the captured compounds belonged to the Military Intelligence, Air Force Intelligence and General Intelligence Directorate. They are the most powerful security agencies in the country.
The Local Coordination Committees, another activist group, said regime forces are sending tanks to the town to help in the fight.
The heavy clashes in the town started Thursday afternoon forcing thousands of people to flee across the border to Turkey for safety.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Jimmy Carter's grandson: People have right to sport Confederate battle flag license plate
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.