- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Taking Names: Brad Pitt becomes first male face for Chanel No. 5
A new 30-second ad campaign for the iconic women’s perfume was unveiled online via the French fashion house’s YouTube page and then on television.
The decision to choose Mr. Pitt to head the campaign was announced in May.
After campaigns depicting actress Estella Warren as Red Riding Hood, Miss Kidman running through the streets of New York and actress Audrey Tautou aboard a luxurious night train, the sparse black and white in which Mr. Pitt appears marks a stark change.
Chanel sees the ad campaign as a new direction, saying that the perfume “has to go where we are not expected.”
Mr. Pitt reportedly is being paid $7 million for his efforts.
The most famous face of the perfume was Marilyn Monroe, who in 1953 said it was all she wore to bed.
National Portrait Gallery focusing on poets
America often knows the names, but not the faces of its great poets. Now the National Portrait Gallery is introducing dozens of 20th-century poets to Washington visitors.
“Poetic Likeness: Modern American Poets” will be on view through April.
Curator David Ward said he wanted to open a poetry exhibit for years because it’s a way America defined itself as a culture. He said poetry is the language we turn to when something is important.
The show opens with Walt Whitman and maps the evolution of language from the first example of free verse in “Leaves of Grass.” Later, Ezra Pound and others develop a unique American voice, separate from Europe.
It explores biographies of Robert Frost, Langston Hughes, e.e. Cummings, Allen Ginsberg, Marianne Moore and others.
Elvis‘ Beverly Hills home on the market for $12.9M
The former Beverly Hills home of the late Elvis Presley and his wife Priscilla is up for sale for a cool $12.9 million.
Real estate website operator Trulia said the home hit the market Wednesday.
Like Presley’s home in Memphis, known as Graceland, Elvis fans have for years flocked to visit the property. According to the listing, the four-bedroom, five-bathroom French Regency estate sits on a 1.18 acre promontory overlooking Los Angeles.
The estate was formerly available to lease for $25,000 a month.
Octomom won’t face child-neglect charges
Prosecutors won’t file charges against Nadya Suleman after a caregiver last month reported allegations of child neglect at the Octomom’s California home.
Orange County District Attorney Chief of Staff Susan Kang Schroeder said there’s not enough evidence to move forward with the case.
Police in La Habra said they investigated the allegations of child neglect at Ms. Suleman’s home and turned their findings over to the district attorney’s office and social services.
Ms. Suleman has been in the media spotlight since giving birth to octuplets in 2009 after she already had six children. Her manager said she lived in La Habra until two weeks ago, when she moved to the Los Angeles County city of Palmdale.
• Compiled from Web and wire reports
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Paul takes veiled shot at Cruz, says GOP must focus on growth
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- VIDEO: Emily Miller on Fox Business "The Independents" special "The Gun Show"
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- Stolen European passports on Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777
- Gates: Obama strategy won't stop Putin
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again