- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
SANDS: Magnus Carlsen is a chess champ with a taste for slow torture
Question of the Day
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bb5+ Bd7 4. Bxd7+ Qxd7 5. c4 Nf6 6. Nc3 g6 7. d4 cxd4 8. Nxd4 Bg7 9. f3 Qc7 10. b3 Qa5 11. Bb2 Nc6 12. O-O O-O 13. Nce2 Rfd8 14. Bc3 Qb6 15. Kh1 d5 16. Nxc6 bxc6 17. Qe1 Rdc8 18. e5 Ne8 19. e6 fxe6 20. Nf4 Bxc3 21. Qxc3 d4 22. Qd2 c5 23. Rae1 Ng7 24. g4 Rc6 25. Nh3 Ne8 26. Qh6 Nf6 27. Ng5 d3 28. Re5 Kh8 29. Rd1 Qa6 30. a4 Black resigns.
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 Be7 4. Ngf3 Nf6 5. e5 Nfd7 6. Bd3 c5 7. c3 Nc6 8. O-O g5 9. dxc5 g4 10. Nd4 Ndxe5 11. Bc2 Bxc5 12. Qe2 Rg8 13. b4 Nxd4 14. cxd4 Bxd4 15. Rb1 g3 16. Kh1 Qh4 17. fxg3 Rxg3 18. Rb3 Ng4 19. Nf3 Qh5 20. Bd1 Be5 21. h3 Bc7 22. Nh2 Rxb3 23. Nxg4 Rxh3+ 24. gxh3 Qxh3+ 25. Kg1 f5 26. Rxf5 Bb6+ 27. Be3 d4 28. Ba4+ Bd7 29. Bxd7+ Kxd7 30. Qb5+ Ke7 31. Bg5+ Kd6 32. Qe5+ Kd7 33. Rf7+ Black resigns.
• David R. Sands can be reached at 202/636-3178 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Raised in Northern Virginia, David R. Sands received an undergraduate degree from the University of Virginia and a master’s degree from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University. He worked as a reporter for several Washington-area business publications before joining The Washington Times.
At The Times, Mr. Sands has covered numerous beats, including international trade, banking, politics ...
- SANDS: Song soars with dramatic Cadet chess victory
- SANDS: Cadets battle as D.C. summer chess scene heats up
- SANDS: Winners take three paths to the top at the 42nd World Chess Open
- SANDS: Ortiz Suarez wins D.C., Smirin wins the World
- SANDS: Fourth time a charm as Troff captures U.S. junior chess title
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world