- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
Springsteen presents charity honor to Van Zandt
Question of the Day
Singer-guitarist Tom Morello, serving a blistering homage to Van Zandt’s old anti-apartheid song, “Sun City,” told the crowd how it helped stoke his own activism as a student at Harvard University.
Some bad-boy appeal came when rocker Jesse Malin climbed onto a table of people dining near the stage, singing as he traipsed in sneakers amid stemware on the tablecloth.
Then another pride of Jersey, Southside Johnny, made it a trio for the nostalgic “It’s Been a Long Time.”
All the performers packed the stage for the aptly chosen finale, “I Don’t Want to Go Home.”
Besides working with Springsteen and E Street, and camping it up in mobster roles _ his most recent on the Netflix show “Lilyhammer” _ Van Zandt is a record and television producer, radio host, songwriter and arranger, and oversees two satellite channels.
The self-educated music historian is also chairman of the Rock and Roll Forever Foundation, which is developing curriculum for schools. Not bad for a guy who endured his own school days as a self-described “freak,” `’misfit” and “outcast.”
“That was particular to my generation,” he said. Now, being a musician is “acceptable. … But it wasn’t so respectable in the 60s.”
TWT Video Picks
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Ticket me Elmo? NYC mulls law for impersonators
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Government OKs Arab-owned company Gulftainer to operate U.S. cargo port
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world