- Israeli warplanes pound 29 Palestinian sites in Gaza: ‘Direct hits’ confirmed
- Eric Holder to give thumbs-up to drop jail time for drug offenders
- N.J. Gov. Chris Christie faces fire for Superstorm Sandy dollars: ‘Where’s the governor?’
- Pope Francis shakes Vatican Bank with ‘earthquake’ reforms
- White House: Obamacare didn’t matter in Florida special election
- Last laugh: Marine vet fires off jokes from the grave with own obituary
- Gas blast destroys 2 N.Y. buildings; 6 people dead
- 2 dead, 23 hurt when driver plows into SXSW crowd
- Student protester shot, killed amid Venezuela unrest
- ‘Between Two Ferns’ director rushes to Obama’s defense, blasts O’Reilly
Inside Politics: Report find super PAC, House ad spending nearly on par
HARTFORD — GOP Senate candidate Linda McMahon is courting ticket-splitters in a new ad in which four supporters of President Obama, who has a double-digit lead in the state, say they also will cast ballots for her. Her campaign strongly denied she was writing off Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney, saying she supports the former Massachusetts governor “100 percent.”
“Linda McMahon will work with President Obama and I believe he’ll work with her,” says one of the voters in the ad, David Cole, a disabled veteran who said he plans to vote for the Republican on the independent line in November. Mrs. McMahon’s name will appear as both the Republican and the independent candidate.
Nonsense, said Rep. Christopher S. Murphy, the Democrat in the race once thought to have a better shot at winning.
“This is one of the strangest political ads I have ever seen because we know that Linda McMahon is going to oppose President Obama on everything that he stands for. She’s told us that, over and over again,” said Mr. Murphy, referring to the Republican candidate’s calls to repeal and replace Mr. Obama’s health care legislation and her opposition to his positions on energy reform and tax policy. “I mean, there is almost nothing Linda McMahon agrees with President Obama on, which makes this ad absolutely deceitful.”
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- Ukrainian PM accuses Putin of wanting war
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- NRA shirt gets N.Y. high school student suspended
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- CURL: Calm down, conservatives: Obama's 'Two Ferns' bit was brilliant
- Military families would take a $5,000 hit in benefits with Obama budget
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again