- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- NATO sends surveillance planes to watch Ukraine
- Climate change not a top concern of Americans, poll shows
- GM faces federal investigation for slow recall that led to 13 deaths
- Iran president reaches out to Oman on friendship tour
- FAA’s pre-Malaysia flight warning: 777s have cracking, corrosion issues
- Facebook HQ locked down; employees searched as police field threat
- Glenn Ford free, after serving 30 years for murder he didn’t commit
- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
US to return 4,000 archaeological items to Mexico
EL PASO, TEXAS (AP) - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement will return to the Mexican government more than 4,000 archaeological pieces seized at several locations across the United States by customs agents and investigators.
ICE spokeswoman Leticia Zamarripa says the cache of items mostly date from before the landings of European explorers on the North American continent. The lot includes pre-Columbian stones used to grind corn and other grains, statues, figurines, copper hatchets and other artifacts. They were seized in El Paso, Phoenix, Chicago, Denver, San Diego and San Antonio.
They’ll be displayed during a ceremony Thursday at the Mexican consulate in El Paso. The ceremony will be attended by the Mexican Consul General Jacob Prado and U.S. Homeland Security Investigations officials.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- HURT: John Kerry The ridiculous face of a ridiculous U.S. diplomacy
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Search for missing Malaysian airliner widens as mystery deepens
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Obamacare 3 million shy of target with 19 days left to sign up
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again