- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Presidential excess
Question of the Day
Of the $6 trillion President Obama has frittered away, how much of that was either direct or indirect White House expenditure?
An example of indirect expenditures would be funds for Air Force One, other aircraft supporting the president's travel, White House communications and the Secret Service. However, these expenditures also include the cost of vacations taken by the president's wife, children and guests, as well as the dinners out and surveillance services for the president's numerous golf outings. Direct expenditures include Mr. Obama's salary, the vice president's salary and funding for political appointees, including the various unconstitutional "czars" of which the president is so fond.
While a good portion of these costs are common to all presidents, it is notable that there are expenditures that this president has chosen to incur for his own use and that of his family that others before him have foregone. A breakdown of these costs to the taxpayer would highlight the many excesses.
This president has a high level of disregard for federal spending in the face of our economic state. Let's hope he has not set a precedent for those who follow.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Colorado judge: Bakery owner discriminated against gay couple
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama trying to make Mandela death about himself
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics