- Kentucky city called socialist for buying gas station, undercutting competitor fuel prices
- Israel hits five mosques, sports complex in overnight Gaza strikes
- Hillary Clinton dogged for refusing reporters’ questions on book tour
- EPA tweet baffles: ‘I’m now a C-List celebrity in Kim Kardashian: Hollywood’ iPhone game
- Australian P.M. Abbott: MH17 evidence tampered with on ‘industrial scale’
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez tells Hispanics to vote and ‘punish those’ who oppose amnesty
- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Presidential excess
Question of the Day
Of the $6 trillion President Obama has frittered away, how much of that was either direct or indirect White House expenditure?
An example of indirect expenditures would be funds for Air Force One, other aircraft supporting the president's travel, White House communications and the Secret Service. However, these expenditures also include the cost of vacations taken by the president's wife, children and guests, as well as the dinners out and surveillance services for the president's numerous golf outings. Direct expenditures include Mr. Obama's salary, the vice president's salary and funding for political appointees, including the various unconstitutional "czars" of which the president is so fond.
While a good portion of these costs are common to all presidents, it is notable that there are expenditures that this president has chosen to incur for his own use and that of his family that others before him have foregone. A breakdown of these costs to the taxpayer would highlight the many excesses.
This president has a high level of disregard for federal spending in the face of our economic state. Let's hope he has not set a precedent for those who follow.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Humanists seek support from Congress on military chaplains
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Big milestone for Britain's little prince