- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Briefly: Thousands protest austerity during marches in 56 cities
Question of the Day
Police routinely clear out the camps. Residents in the southern city of Marseille recently burned down a Roma camp after blaming them for burglaries.
Millions of beers later, Oktoberfest shuts off taps
BERLIN — Munich’s famed celebration of beer, the Oktoberfest, drew to a close after some 6.4 million visitors downed an estimated 6.9 million liter mugs of Bavarian brew — about 14.6 million pints.
Organizers said they were satisfied with this year’s event, which opened Sept. 22 and ended Sunday — although visitor numbers were lower than last year.
Festival director Dieter Reiter said that was because the festival grounds were reduced to accommodate an agricultural fair that takes place every four years, news agency DAPD reported.
In 2011, the Oktoberfest drew some 6.9 million visitors, who downed more than 7 million liters.
The Oktoberfest draws visitors from around the world — many of whom try out traditional Bavarian dress. Mr. Reiter says: “Purely from a visual point of view, there are only Bavarians.”
• From wire dispatches and staff reports
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- 9-year-old girl dies from brain-eating amoeba
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Economists see signs of another market bubble
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs