- No mas: Principal bans Spanish language in intercom announcement
- Hacking software could put ‘zombie drone army’ in user’s hands
- Support for stricter gun laws drops: poll
- 10 whales dead, 41 others stranded in Everglades
- John Boehner faces bipartisan pressure to allow gay-rights vote
- Martin Bashir resigns from MSNBC over ‘ill-judged’ comments about Sarah Palin
- Rep. Duncan Hunter: While Obama prays for Iranian change, U.S. should ready its nukes
- Best company ever? Veteran Beer Co. exists to employ vets, provide quality beer
- Iran official: Sanctions ‘utterly failed’ to stop nuclear program
- ‘Black Santa’ display at IU sparks student outrage
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political warfare in Ohio
The Obama campaign committee is conducting political warfare against the military voters in Ohio (“Romney: Obama lawsuit targeting military voting law an ‘outrage,’ ” Web Sept. 4). The Veterans of Foreign Wars, of which I am a member, all other veterans and active-duty organizations, along with active and retired members of the armed forces and their families and supporters, are outraged that the Obama campaign is suing Ohio to block a lawfully passed measure of the state legislature, extending early voting by a few days.
The long-standing tradition of allowing special circumstances for military voters goes back to the Civil War and has been adhered to by all states. Republicans traditionally have received a majority of the military vote, which will be especially crucial this year in the battleground state of Ohio. A victory for either candidate there could mean the difference between winning or losing the White House.
Ohio is one of 32 states that allow voters to cast an early ballot by mail or in person without an excuse. In addition, state law allows members of military families and civilians overseas to vote early through the Monday before the election, while early voting for all other Ohioans ends the preceding Friday. This year’s election falls on Nov. 6.
The Obama lawsuit is blatantly anti-American and a disservice to the military and their families. It would seem that President Obama’s campaign is reckless and unpatriotic in its efforts to get a second term, which many think he has not earned and does not deserve. He has destabilized and hollowed out the U.S. armed forces, doubled the national debt, destroyed the economy and bypassed the Constitution and the will of the American people.
LT. COL. DOMINIK GEORGE NARGELE
U.S. Marines (retired)
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hola: Boehner prepares to push amnesty bill through House
- Apple wins facial recognition patent for iPhone 6
- Inside China: Nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S.
- Puerto Rico caravan honoring Paul Walker ends in 6 drunken-driving arrests, 72 speeding tickets
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Xbox One, Playstation 4 games penalize users for cursing in their own homes
- MILLER: Obamas EPA closing smelter will not affect ammunition supply
- Pentagon may give recruits 'a shot to start over' after shameful social media posts
- Tipsforjesus mystery diner leaves huge tips across America
- U.S. drops 2,000 mice on Guam by parachute to kill snakes