- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political warfare in Ohio
The Obama campaign committee is conducting political warfare against the military voters in Ohio (“Romney: Obama lawsuit targeting military voting law an ‘outrage,’ ” Web Sept. 4). The Veterans of Foreign Wars, of which I am a member, all other veterans and active-duty organizations, along with active and retired members of the armed forces and their families and supporters, are outraged that the Obama campaign is suing Ohio to block a lawfully passed measure of the state legislature, extending early voting by a few days.
The long-standing tradition of allowing special circumstances for military voters goes back to the Civil War and has been adhered to by all states. Republicans traditionally have received a majority of the military vote, which will be especially crucial this year in the battleground state of Ohio. A victory for either candidate there could mean the difference between winning or losing the White House.
Ohio is one of 32 states that allow voters to cast an early ballot by mail or in person without an excuse. In addition, state law allows members of military families and civilians overseas to vote early through the Monday before the election, while early voting for all other Ohioans ends the preceding Friday. This year’s election falls on Nov. 6.
The Obama lawsuit is blatantly anti-American and a disservice to the military and their families. It would seem that President Obama’s campaign is reckless and unpatriotic in its efforts to get a second term, which many think he has not earned and does not deserve. He has destabilized and hollowed out the U.S. armed forces, doubled the national debt, destroyed the economy and bypassed the Constitution and the will of the American people.
LT. COL. DOMINIK GEORGE NARGELE
U.S. Marines (retired)
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?