- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Giffords inspires crowd at Democratic convention
Question of the Day
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Gabrielle Giffords has inspired the cheering delegates at the Democratic National Convention by leading the Pledge of Allegiance.
The former Arizona congresswoman came to the stage Thursday night, walking with a distinct limp as she received a standing ovation. Convention spectators had tears in their eyes when she finished. She smiled broadly and waved enthusiastically to the audience as they chanted, “Gabby, Gabby.”
Giffords has helped out Democrats on occasion after resigning earlier this year to focus on her recovery from a gunshot wound to the head. She campaigned for the former aide who took her seat in Congress, Ron Barber. She also has formed a political action committee.
Democratic officials, sensing the dramatic effect of Giffords‘ appearance, pushed back the Pledge a few hours.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors