- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
- Howard Dean cheers Obama’s approach to Russian aggression
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s childhood nickname? ‘The Surprise’
Aristotle Onassis’ Greek island sells for $153 million
The Greek island of Skorpios where Aristotle Onassis married Jackie Kennedy has reportedly been sold by his sole surviving heir for £100 million ($153.1 million) to a Russian billionaire, the London Telegraph reports.
The island was originally bought by Mr. Onassis in 1962 for just 3.5 million drachmas, the equivalent of about $15,305, the Telegraph reports. A few years later it hosted his wedding to Jacqueline Kennedy.
After Mr. Onassis’ death, Skorpios passed to his daughter Christina, who died of a heart attack in 1988, and then to Athina, the Telegraph reports.
Law firms in Athens and Geneva are currently drawing up contracts for the sale of the island, according to the Greek press.
The identity of the Russian businessman has not been disclosed, the Telegraph reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- NYC's de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town's name during mudslide visit
- Richard Gere mistaken for homeless man, given bag of food
- Putin calls Internet 'CIA project' that must be controlled
- Paul Ryan to meet with black lawmakers after 'inner cities' flap
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Rand Paul: Bundy's racist remarks are 'offensive'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014