- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
Aristotle Onassis’ Greek island sells for $153 million
Question of the Day
The Greek island of Skorpios where Aristotle Onassis married Jackie Kennedy has reportedly been sold by his sole surviving heir for £100 million ($153.1 million) to a Russian billionaire, the London Telegraph reports.
The island was originally bought by Mr. Onassis in 1962 for just 3.5 million drachmas, the equivalent of about $15,305, the Telegraph reports. A few years later it hosted his wedding to Jacqueline Kennedy.
After Mr. Onassis’ death, Skorpios passed to his daughter Christina, who died of a heart attack in 1988, and then to Athina, the Telegraph reports.
Law firms in Athens and Geneva are currently drawing up contracts for the sale of the island, according to the Greek press.
The identity of the Russian businessman has not been disclosed, the Telegraph reports.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Andrew Cuomo launches statewide task force to collect LGBT data
- Alec Baldwin refuses to apologize for berating cops: 'I’d rather pay the fine'
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
- Washington Post reporter, 2 other Americans detained in Iran
- Browns fan records himself urinating on grave of former Ravens owner Art Modell
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq