- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Syria’s prime minister escapes assassination attempt; bomber targeted convoy
Syria’s prime minister escaped a daring assassination attempt on Monday when an attacker targeted his convoy in downtown Damascus and detonated a bomb.
“The terrorist explosion in al-Mezze was an attempt to target the convoy of the prime minister,” state media reported. “Doctor Wael al-Halqi is well and not hurt at all.”
Television broadcasts from the scene showed firefighters rushing to put out the blaze from the explosion.
Rebel fighters reportedly placed an explosive device beneath a car that was parked near the convoy, The Associated Press reported. It was then detonated when his car drove past.
The area of attack is where many high-ranking members of President Bashar Assad’s government live, AP said.
Despite the failure to kill the premier, rebel forces still celebrated the attack. It showed the ability of fighters to hit at Mr. Assad’s heart of power, AP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Suspected serial killer may be loose near Washington, D.C.
- Calif. shop facing angry fire pulls 'smart gun' from shelves
- Napoleon's death-bed hair, shirt to hit the auction block
- Rachel Canning revealed: Host let teen throw booze parties
- Bob Costas botox caused pink eye; NBC host denies claim
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Senate rejects Gillibrand's overhaul of military's handling of sexual assaults
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again