- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Ark. gun activists to carry weapons through streets to defy ban on open carry
Gun rights activists will march through western Arkansas with their weapons on full display this weekend, a subtle act of defiance and show of solidarity against the state’s attorney general who said the open carry of handguns is illegal.
Arkansas Carry, a guns rights group, arranged the “open carry” invite-only processional for Saturday, the Associated Press reported. Activists will openly display their weapons as they march in Fort Smith.
Attorney General Dustin McDaniel said the state’s new gun law, which went into effect Aug. 16, basically bans the open carry of weapons. Specifically, he argued, it prohibits an individual from going on a journey — defined as traveling “beyond the county in which the person lives” — and openly carrying a weapon, AP said.
Arkansas Carry says that interpretation is incorrect.
“Basically, we’re going to do the walk because it’s legal and we’re trying to show that Act 746 does authorize open carry contrary to what the attorney general said,” group chairman Steve Jones said, adding that the march has the approval of police and prosecutors.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Military urged to stay away from National Day of Prayer event
- Ole Miss fraternity shut after 3 accused of tying noose on statue of black student
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists' try to erect 'reason station' at city hall
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act — then promotes on Twitter
- Ben Carson presidential PAC outpaces Hillary, GOP
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.