- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Egypt seizes assets of 572 Muslim Brotherhood and Islamist leaders
Question of the Day
Interim governing authorities in Egypt ordered security forces on Tuesday to seize the assets of more than 500 Islamist leaders and Muslim Brotherhood members, the latest in a crackdown on the organization just slapped with the terrorist label.
The Associated Press reported that Abdel-Azzem el-Ashri, a spokesman for the Justice Ministry, said that one of the department’s committees ordered the seizure of all “movable and immovable properties” of 572 leaders in the Muslim Brotherhood. Some of those leaders actually helped oust former President Mohammed Morsi from office and send his family into hiding.
The list of targeted members also included females such as Assa el-Garf and the wife of leader Khairat el-Shater and his daughter, AP reported.
The Muslim Brotherhood was declared a terrorist group by the Egyptian government on Dec. 25.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- David Duchovny draws ire with pro-Russia beer ad
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Sarah Palin Channel makes online debut as counter to mainstream media
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq