- Ann Coulter takes up ‘Mitt Romney for President’ chant again
- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
GM ending Chevy sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
Chevy is as iconic as an American car brand comes, but that hasn’t helped sell cars in Europe.
General Motors announced Thursday it will end deliveries of Chevrolet vehicles to Europe by the end of 2015 to focus on its core European brands, the German-based Opel and U.K.-based Vauxhall. The move to shift production from Chevy to Opel and Vauxhall is expected to cost GM a one-time fee of between $700 million and $1 billion.
Chevy long has been one of the best-selling car brands in the U.S., but it didn’t do as well as expected in Europe. Three popular cars that Chevy builds in Europe include the Camaro, Corvette and the new hybrid electric Volt.
But Chevy sales suffered from a downturn in European demand over the past several years because of the financial crisis.
The division’s European headquarters, which was relaunched in 2005, is based in Zurich, where it employees about 800 people.
GM’s stock showed little reaction to the move, inching up about 40 cents, or 1 percent, to $39 in afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Tim Devaney is a national reporter who covers business and international trade for The Washington Times. Previously, he worked for the Detroit News, Grand Rapids Press, Portland Press Herald and Bangor Daily News. Tim can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dysfunction, disarray at Homeland Security management cited in IG's report
- GM's Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- Treasury sells last shares in 'Government Motors'
- U.S. businesses reach out quickly to partners in Iran
- General Motors ending Chevrolet sales in Europe to focus on Opel and Vauxhall
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- DeLAY: Hearings offer ripe target in Obamacare battle
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.