NEW YORK (AP) - In a story Jan. 31 about a planned arts center at the World Trade Center site, The Associated Press, relying on information from the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., erroneously reported the organization appropriated $99 million for below-ground construction and design. The money is for construction above ground only.
A corrected version of the story is below:
Planned arts center at World Trade site gets boost
Planned performing arts center at World Trade Center site gets money for staff, building plans
By ULA ILNYTZKY
NEW YORK (AP) _ A performing arts center planned for the World Trade Center site got a financial boost Thursday that improves the chances of the languishing project to begin construction in four years.
The approval means that construction could begin in 2017, with a projected opening in 2019, she said.
“This is a push-off for the project,” Boepple said.
And it’s a boost for a neighborhood reborn after the Sept. 11 terrorist attack.
“It will bring jobs to the community and help small businesses,” said Menin, who serves on the arts center board. “We can look to cities like San Francisco and Miami that have invested in performing arts centers, and see what that does economically for a city.”
The LMDC had withheld the money in September, citing concerns over the project’s cost and fundraising ability.
Boepple and a board of directors named last year have raised $25 million for the project.View Entire Story
By Andrew P. Napolitano
The president's men trash the Constitution to pursue antagonists
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall
NRA kicks off annual convention