- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
- Robert Griffin III to drive pace car before Richmond NASCAR race
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Enforcement, not reform, needed
The "reform" in "comprehensive immigration reform" is a sham because our immigration laws, if properly enforced, work fine ("Border numbers rise ahead of talks on immigration," Web, Tuesday). The problem is enforcement, which is lacking.
We now will endure the politicians staking positions and posturing for the camera, but not for America. Sadly, all they want is to get re-elected. What I would give to see a true statesman step forward, protect and defend this country and not ultimately grant amnesty to illegals.
If the politicians of both parties do what I fear they are going to do under the guise of "comprehensive immigration reform," I suggest the legislation should include a provision that would prohibit any illegal caught in the United States after passage of the measure from ever applying for or becoming a U.S. citizen.
Why would any well-intended politician of any party object to this provision? Maybe we can truly separate the politicians and the statesmen once and for all.
ROBERT G. KARNES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Get Breaking Alerts
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Georgia governor signs bill expanding gun rights
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Professor apologizes after blasting Republicans in class
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Ukraine claims torture by pro-Russian forces on the heels of Biden's stern warning to Moscow