- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Enforcement, not reform, needed
The "reform" in "comprehensive immigration reform" is a sham because our immigration laws, if properly enforced, work fine ("Border numbers rise ahead of talks on immigration," Web, Tuesday). The problem is enforcement, which is lacking.
We now will endure the politicians staking positions and posturing for the camera, but not for America. Sadly, all they want is to get re-elected. What I would give to see a true statesman step forward, protect and defend this country and not ultimately grant amnesty to illegals.
If the politicians of both parties do what I fear they are going to do under the guise of "comprehensive immigration reform," I suggest the legislation should include a provision that would prohibit any illegal caught in the United States after passage of the measure from ever applying for or becoming a U.S. citizen.
Why would any well-intended politician of any party object to this provision? Maybe we can truly separate the politicians and the statesmen once and for all.
ROBERT G. KARNES
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
Get Breaking Alerts
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama delivering on 'flexibility' vow to Moscow
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama should've seen Ukraine coming
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Political correctness is enemy of free speech
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop wasting money on United Nations
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Certain issues belong to voters