- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
Tawana Brawley found after decades, served court order for defamation case
It may have taken more than two decades, but Tawana Brawley — who falsely accused New York prosecutor Steven Pagones of rape — was tracked down and given a court order to settle a defamation case against her.
Racial tensions flared in 1987 when Ms. Brawley, her lawyers and the Rev. Al Sharpton accused a group of white men of covering her in feces and writing epithets on her body. A grand jury found that Ms. Brawley had fabricated the story and in 1998, Pagones was awarded $185,000 in damages — none of which has been paid.
An investigation by the New York Post led the paper to Hopewell, Va., where she was working as a nurse under the name Tawana Vacenia Thompson Gutierrez. Due to the interest that has accumulated over 25 years, Ms. Brawley owes Pagones roughly $430,000.
"For at least 25 years, she has been living a major lie," Mr. Pagones told the Post, adding that he would be willing to waive the money due to him if she confessed.
"If she is not going to tell the truth, then it is about the money. That is the only way to hold her accountable," he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Elderly Chicago man robs bank to go 'home' to prison; judge fulfills his desire
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
- 'I Am Alive' app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Philadelphia using high-frequency sonic waves to chase off teenagers, improve security
- Teen from 'Jihad Jane' plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Skeptics on all sides take aim of John Kerry's tentative deal on Ukraine
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- UNICEF launches 'Mr. Poo' mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.